UZB is the smallest Z-Wave USB stick in the market.
This USB stick connects a PC or any other computing platform with USB interface to a wireless Z-Wave network. A controller software compatible to the Silicon Labs Z-Wave Serial API (for example Z-Way) is required to use the functions of the device. This software plus this UZB realise a static controller to manage and use Z-Wave devices of various vendors. This stick works with all certified Z-Wave devices regardless of its vendor or date of origin. The Silicon Labs Z-Wave Serial API specification is available to all owners of a Silicon Labs Z-Wave SDK.
The device implements a virtual serial interface used by the Z-Wave application. Linux and Mac OSX has a built in device driver for the stick and will create a new device named like /dev/ttyACM0 (Linux) or /dev/cu.usbmodemfa131 (OSX). Windows enumerates a new COM port device but might require a device driver uzb.inf available below.
UZB supports Z-Wave Security S2 and Smart Start technologies.
Compared to the standard firmware design used by almost all Z-Wave USB Sticks and other Z-Wave Host Interface hardware, the UZB firmware offers several extensions and enhancements:
- Backup and recovery function including network topology
- Optimised transmitting queue handling to speed up transmitting process
- Firmware update from the OS level in the field
- Trusted Platform module applying strong encryption
- Extended Wakeup Notification to extend battery life time of battery-operated devices in the network
- Advanced statistics about network actual usage
- Allows switching frequencies from software
UZB can be used together with Z-Way software (a license might be required) or any other third party software that uses Z-Wave Serial API. There are firmwares for static controller (for Z-Way and most of third party software) or bridge (for Z/IP). UZB supports firmware upgrade feature.
The UZB comes in three different versions depending on the transmitting frequency used:
- ZMEEUZB: Version for all frequencies around 868 MHz (EU, Russia, India, China — default is EU).
- ZMEAUZB: Version for all frequencies around 921 MHz (Australia, Brasil, Japan, Korea — default is Australia/Brasil)
- ZMEUUZB: Version for all frequencies around 908 MHz (USA, Israel — default is USA)
Please check what frequency range you need. You may need to change the frequency within the frequency group using a shell script tool or Z-Way. For more information about technical data an the different operating frequencies please refer to the UZB manual.